If you think about it, the average night’s sleep is 8 hours, which is one third of the day. That means we sleep for around one third of our lives. To get even more specific, if you live to 75 years, that’s 25 years of sleep or 9,125 days. Knowing this, why wouldn’t you want to take the time to make your bedroom, and most importantly your bed, a luxurious place of comfort and relaxation?
The elements of your perfect bed do include style but go much deeper than that. Quality and comfort are essential. At Shades of Sleep, we offer all the needed elements to build the bed of your dreams from in-store selections to custom orders.
Let us take you through the elements we believe to be your bedding essentials.
- Bed Skirt:not all bed frames require a bed skirt but for those that do, it’s important to know the measurements of your bed taking into account the distance from the floor to the top of the bed skirt. A bed skirt can help bring together the overall look and feel of your luxury bed.
- Fitted Sheet: your fitted sheet is the closest element of your bedding to your body. It should be comfortable and soft for sleeping. It should also fit snuggly over your mattress meaning that the mattress length, width and thickness will be important in determining the size.
- Flat Sheet:a flat sheet is meant to go between you and your duvet. It is much easier to clean than a duvet and adds an added design element to your bedding.
- Coverlet: a coverlet is a lightweight, non-reversible bedspread that is traditionally used as a decorative layer over your thicker bedspread. They can be used as a stand alone bed covering depending on their weight.
- Decorative Shams: decorative shams are a great way to add a pop of colour or texture to your bedding. Adding in grand shams behind your regular shams also helps to add height.
- Decorative Cushions: adding in decorative cushions is a great way to get creative. A wide variety of cushion types are available depending on the style you’re looking for.
- Duvet Cover: the duvet cover is the main focal point of your room. It should complement the theme and colours of the room as a whole and should be a light weight fabric to create an airy feel.
- Sleeping Pillows: sleeping pillows are one of the most important elements of a bed. They should be soft to the touch, comfortable for your head to rest on and high quality so that they maintain their shape over time.
- Duvet: the type of duvet that you choose will help to determine the type of sleep that you have. Investing in a high-quality duvet will keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter while being comfortable all year round.
While these are the elements of a luxury bed that we feel are the essentials, there are others that can be added in such as back pillows for an additional layered look and a mattress protector to keep your mattress clean and in great shape.
We invite you to stop in and design your dream bed with us. We have a large selection of bedding that we know you’ll love.